|Module3 The Violence of Nature 教学设计(外研版英语中考复习)
|中学英语教学资源网 → 英语教案 → 教学设计 2016-12-19 手机版|
Part One The Analysis of teaching material
The Violence of Nature是外研版Book 3 Module 3的一篇阅读文章，文章共分3部分，分别介绍了两种自然灾害——龙卷风和飓风的形成和危害及一次异常事件。
Part Two Teaching aims
1. 让学生识记并能正确运用以下词汇：ash, bury, current, disaster, erupt, flow, latitude, lava, occur, tornado, tropical, hurricane, pick up, take off, on average, end up。
Part Three Important points and difficult aims
Part Four Teaching procedures
Show a video “Storm Chasers” and some pictures about tornado, hurricane and other natural disasters to lead in the topic of this passage.
Let the students read the whole text quickly and say the main idea of each part.
● Part 1: A tornado is a rotating column of air and introduce its power.
● Part 2: Hurricanes are strong tropical storms and introduce its power and the worst disaster by it.
● Part 3: Charles Coghlan?s story in the worst hurricane disaster.
1. Let the students read the passage again and then work in pairs or groups to fill in the chart according to the text.
Keys:①A rotating column of air from a thunderstorm to the ground ②In the US ③More than 400kms/h ④Pick up cars, trains and even houses and put them down in the next street — or even in the next town; take the fur off the back of a cat and the feathers off a chicken; destroy the houses ⑤In 1925, in the US; killed more than 700 people; injured 2,700 people ⑥Strong tropical storms ⑦In the southern Atlantic Ocean, the Caribbean Sea and the Gulf of Mexico ⑧120kms/h or more ⑨Cause huge waves, heavy rain and floods ⑩ September the 8th, 1900; killed 6,000 people; destroyed 3,600 buildings
2. Do activity 2 and activity 3 on Page 22 by themselves.
Activity 2: Read the passages on page 23 and answer these questions.
(1) How strong are tornado winds?
(2) What can happen to furniture when a house is destroyed by a tornado?
(3) How many tornadoes are there in the US every year?
(4) How many people died in the worst tornado of all time?
(5) What happens at sea during a hurricane?
(6) When was the worst hurricane of all time?
(7) Was the actor Charles Coghlan killed in it?
(8) What happened to him after the hurricane?
Keys: (1) More than 400km/h. (2) It stays where it was. (3) About 800. (4) More than 700. (5) It has huge waves. (6) On the 8th September, 1900. (7) No, he wasn?t. (8) His coffin was dropped in the sea by a hurricane and carried to Canada by the Gulf Stream.
Activity 3: Find the words and expressions in the passages and match them with the definitions.
(1) you can see this on an animal_____
(2) describing the hottest parts of the earth, north and south of the equator_____
(3) a terrible event _____
(4) you can see these on a bird _____
(5) to place in the ground or tomb_____
Keys: (1) fur (2) tropical (3) disaster (4) feathers (5) bury (6) occur
StepⅣ Careful reading
Let the students read the text carefully and do the following exercises.
Decide if these statements are true(T) or false (F).
(1) All tornadoes have winds of more than 400 kilometres per hour. (F)
(2) There are more tornadoes occurring in the US than in other parts of the world. (T)
(3) Tornadoes can?t destroy furniture because they are not violent enough. (F)
(4) In the US, there are usually about 80 people killed in tornadoes every year.(F)
(5) The worst tornado in history killed at least 700 people. (T)
(6) Every year there are six Atlantic hurricanes. (F)
(7) Both the worst tornado and the worst hurricane occurred in the US. (T)
(8) The worst hurricane of all time killed about one?sixth of the population in the US. (F)
(9) Charles Coghlan didn?t become famous until he moved to New York. (T)
(10) Coghlan?s coffin was destroyed by the 1900 Galveston hurricane. (F)
(11) It was only because of the hurricane that Coghlan?s body could travel back to Canada. (F)
StepⅤ Important language points
1. Almost all of them occur in the US, in the area from Texas in the southeast to South Dakota in the north.
e.g. He told me how the accident occurred.
② Sth occur to sb... 想起，浮现
e.g. An excellent idea occurred to me when I woke up this morning.
It occurred to me that I would travel to Europe.
2. On average, there are 800 tornadoes in the US each year, causing about 80 deaths and 1,500 injuries.
causing about 80 deaths and 1,500 injuries作结果状语。现在分词短语作结果状语表示两个动作之间具有必然的因果关系，通常放在句末。
e.g. Football is played in more than 80 countries, making it the most popular game in the world.
3. The cemetery where Coghlan was buried was destroyed by the hurricane and Coghlan?s coffin ended up in the sea.
end up with 以……告终
e.g. Without your help, the experiment will end up with failure.
The teacher shows the topic and some information about the Wenchuan earthquake. First, let the students discuss in groups. Second, each group will display a passage according to the given materials. Then, the teacher and students correct the mistakes and choose the best one together. Finally, show the possible version for the students to refer to.
Discussion and writing: 根据下面的提示写一篇120~150词的短文，可适当增添细节。
Some expressions to help you.
● be in ruins 变成废墟
● in a flash 顷刻间
● as a result 结果
● become homeless 无家可归
● what?s worse 更糟糕的是
● lose one?s life 丧生
● take action 采取行动
● donate money 捐钱
● raise / collect money 筹集资金
● call on sb. to do 号召某人做
● share pains and sorrows with...与……分担痛苦与伤悲
● in a short time 在短时间内
● make contributions to 为……作出贡献
Step Ⅶ Homework
1. Retell the text using about 100 words.
2. Combine the natural disasters which happened in our country in recent years, and write an essay based on the main idea “Faced with a natural disaster, what should you do to fight with it and benefit the human beings?”